APEM is a global leader in aerial survey corridor mapping of natural and human-made linear features. Clients from the utility and construction industries have commissioned us to undertake aerial surveys of their existing linear assets and to map out proposed routes for new installations.
- Water pipeline surveys for leakage detection. Using our multispectral camera systems, we can identify leaks in underground pipelines.
- Topographic surveys for route optimisation. Our 3D outputs provide a powerful tool to investigate proposed route options, with topographic data and high-resolution imagery flagging up obstacles to construction.
- Earthworks calculations for new infrastructure projects. Our highly accurate 3D data is used to manage volumes such as stockpiles, embankments and cuttings on construction projects.
- Vegetation risk assessment for overhead transmission lines. We can map the proximity of vegetation to overhead transmission lines, and identify trees posing a strike risk to the network.
- Buried pipeline detection. Our multispectral sensors can map the location of pipelines buried several feet below the ground.
- River habitat surveys and restoration works. We are able to map fish spawning habitats within river channels, identify invasive species and create 3D models of floodplains and river banks.
Benefits of aerial surveys for linear asset mapping
Using our specialist camera and image processing technology we capture ultra-high resolution imagery in multiple wavebands from RGB to near-infrared, at a resolution greater than 5 cm GSD. The data can be used to generate high density topographic datasets such as point clouds, digital surface models (DSM) and digital terrain models (DTM). The data can also be used to create accurate ortho-mosaics and 3D virtual flyovers.
Our aircraft and sensors can survey tens of kilometres of linear assets in a single day – including remote or inaccessible areas – allowing us to provide a key snapshot of an entire project from a single survey.
Our innovative approach to corridor mapping removes delays caused by land ownership and access issues, and also brings significant health and safety benefits for our clients by minimising the number of ‘boots on the ground’.
Air Operator Certificate and PART-SPO
Our Air Operator Certificate (AOC) and PART-SPO registration demonstrate our commitment to operating at the highest standards of health and safety. Together they provide our clients with complete flexibility in carrying expert technicians and task specialists on board our aircraft during surveys.
We operate under our own AOC, fully authorised and audited by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to the same rigorous standards required of major airlines.
We are also the first company to successfully register to operate under the new PART-SPO regulations. PART-SPO is a major update to the way that aerial surveys are regulated, signalling both a significant tightening of requirements and a new approach by the CAA.
It covers special operations from aerial photography to aerobatics, parachuting, cloud seeding and animal herding. APEM is registered for aerial photography, surveying and calibration.
If you have any queries, please contact David Campbell, principal remote sensing scientist.
Alternatively you can email us here. Or call 0161 442 8938.