The catchment-based approach is endorsed by the UK government as a means to deliver wide ranging benefits to the water environment through integrated land and water management, carried out by stakeholder-led partnerships.
Working in partnership with statutory agencies, charities, water companies and landowners, APEM’s unique integration of catchment surveys, remote sensing innovation, stakeholder engagement and practical work has put the catchment-based approach into real action on the ground throughout the UK.
We have shown that practical improvements to river environments can often be achieved simply and cheaply by an evidence based approach and good community engagement.
River catchment management services
- Baseline and wet weather diffuse pollution surveys in rural and urban catchments, including water quality sampling and analysis, plus follow-up farm visits and support with mitigation implementation.
- Habitat mapping, fluvial audits, fluvial geomorphology and river habitat and corridor surveys.
- Fisheries surveys compliant with the Water Framework Directive (WFD), including assessment of barriers to migration and passageway options.
- Sampling and laboratory analysis of WFD biological elements, such as freshwater benthic invertebrates and diatoms. UKAS accredited laboratory analysis of phytoplankton.
- Aerial surveys using remote sensing equipment to facilitate rapid catchment-wide assessments.
- Data interpretation and reporting, including presentation of results in an interactive GIS format.
- National team of field scientists and specialist consultants offering both strategic and rapid response capability, with a consistent approach across catchments.
- Identification of soil erosion and calculation of costs to farmers using innovative 3D imaging based on data from aerial surveys.
- Development of robust and cost-effective monitoring and evaluation strategies.
- Development of web based catchment spatial data sources.
- Management and remediation advice for land managers.
- Catchment workshops and specialist agricultural advice for stakeholders.
- Training workshops tailored for River Trusts and other NGO’s.
River catchment management experience
- Working with the Environment Agency, Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Countryside Council for Wales, rivers trusts, wildlife trusts and local community groups in more than 40 river catchments and across all 11 river basin districts in England and Wales.
- Working with water companies, including Thames Water and Southern Water, to reduce the concentration of pesticides in drinking water sources, by catchment-based approaches.
- Developed the Environment Agency’s standardised catchment walkover survey method.
- Completed over 15,000 km of river walkover surveys in priority catchments.
- Delivered training courses and workshops for the Environment Agency and community stakeholder groups.
- Research for UK Water Industry Research (UKWIR) on remote sensing and aerial surveys for catchment management.
Air Operator Certificate and PART-SPO
Our Air Operator Certificate (AOC) and PART-SPO registration demonstrate our commitment to operating at the highest standards of health and safety. Together they provide our clients with complete flexibility in carrying expert technicians and task specialists on board our aircraft during surveys.
We operate under our own AOC, fully authorised and audited by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to the same rigorous standards required of major airlines.
We are also the first company to successfully register to operate under the new PART-SPO regulations. PART-SPO is a major update to the way that aerial surveys are regulated, signalling both a significant tightening of requirements and a new approach by the CAA.
It covers special operations from aerial photography to aerobatics, parachuting, cloud seeding and animal herding. APEM is registered for aerial photography, surveying and calibration.