Seabird and marine mammal modelling services
Our wildlife modelling services include:
- Analysing and interpreting survey data and associated information to deliver EIAs.
- Research using best practice methods.
- Working with data gathered by ground, digital aerial, aerial visual and boat-based surveys.
- Bespoke pre- and post-development surveys, such as BACI, plus other bird and marine mammal surveys.
- Assessments of bird and marine mammal population sizes and change through time and space using robust techniques, including distance analysis and functions that correct for detection.
- Density surface modelling from kriging to Generalised Additive Models to predict and visualise the spatial distributions of birds and marine mammals.
- In collaboration with CREEM, undertaking spatially explicit modelling using the latest analysis techniques such as CReSS and SALSA to assess how anthropogenic factors affect wildlife.
- Collision risk modelling for impact assessment.
Seabird and marine mammal modelling experience
Our wildlife modelling experience includes:
- Delivering baseline studies and environmental statement chapters.
- Developing MigroPath, a modelling tool widely used during offshore wind farm EIA to assess and quantify any risk to migrating birds.
- The innovative use of data from GPS-tagged seabirds to much improve estimates of site usage in each case, lowering consenting risk significantly.
- Analysing still images from digital aerial surveys to estimate a 99.8% avoidance rate of offshore wind turbines by Northern gannets.
- Providing updated population sizes for Special Protection Areas (SPAs) and Areas of Conservation (SACs).
If you have any queries, please contact Dr Stephanie McGovern, principal biometrician.
Alternatively you can email us here. Or call 0161 442 8938.